Monday, January 12, 2009

Safe in Maryland

We made it safe and sound to Maryland!

We left Enterprise, Alabama around 6:00 am on Friday morning. We loaded up the U-Haul on Thursday, so all we would have to do Friday morning is get ready, throw the last minute stuff in the car and hit the road. We headed up to Birmingham, Alabama to pick up Sheena and Larry Jr. (Thank you for meeting us Trey – it really helped out!). Sheena was kind enough to agree to ride with me to keep Alex occupied and keep me awake and Larry Jr. was kind enough to ride along with Larry in the U-Haul to keep him company!

While the trip was long, it was not as bad as I had been anticipating! We were lucky enough to get some “doggie downers” for the dogs and they slept nearly the entire ride (is it bad that I am thinking of giving them the tranquilizers on a daily, full-time basis?!). At every stop, we made sure to get them out of the car to walk around and go potty! They woke up a few times during the ride, but each time they would look around for awhile and then lay back down! Normally they are not that great in the car, hopping around the car and acting crazy all the time, so this was a welcome change!

As for Alex, he was so much better than I expected. For the most part, he was happy watching a DVD on the DVD player and eating “Puffs”. He had about an hour and a half of fussiness, but in his defense - when he had his fussy moments he had already been in the car for 12 hours. We were able to let him run around when we would stop, which he loved. He took two good naps and fell asleep for the night around 9:00 pm.

We pulled into our driveway in Maryland at midnight. Considering that we had to stop frequently to fill up the U-Haul, walk the dogs and let Alex (and the adults) stretch his legs, we didn’t do too badly! Once we got to the house, Alex woke up (which I had anticipated) and we unload a few essentials. Alex went to sleep fairly easily once he ran around in the house for a few minutes. Luckily, we thought ahead and put the essentials in an easy to grab spot in the U-Haul. We were able to get the things inside and get to bed around 2:00 am.

Throughout the rest of the weekend, Larry and Larry Jr. were able to get all of the big items put together and set up. Sheena and I focused on making several trips to Wal-Mart and getting a good portion of the boxes unpacked. There is still a bunch of things left to do, but it is a great improvement from where we started on Saturday morning!

Thank you both Larry Jr. and Sheena! You both were such a big help and I know that Larry and I couldn’t have done half of this stuff without the two of you! I know that you are both exhausted and have sore muscles, knees and heads, but please know that we appreciate all that you did more than you will ever know! We are so lucky that you were both willing (and able) to drop all of things going on in your own lives to help us with ours!

No comments: