Saturday, November 21, 2009

Happy Birthday, Grandma Kathy!


Happy Birthday, Grandma Kathy!

Today, we should be singing Grandma Kathy “Happy Birthday” over the phone. Today, we should be calling Grandma Kathy and reminding her that she is 51 years old. Today, we should be thanking God for another year with Grandma Kathy.

Unfortunately, we won’t be doing any of these things today. Instead of calling Grandma Kathy to tease her about her 51st birthday, we will be sending a balloon to her in heaven. Instead of singing her “Happy Birthday” over the phone, we will do it quietly before naptime (or when we wake up in the morning, or before bedtime, or at any random times throughout the day). And instead of thanking God for another year with Grandma Kathy, we will be thanking Him for all of the years that we were able to celebrate with her.

Today, I will tell our son about the Grandma he will never know. I will tell him about the way she laughed and made everyone around her laugh. I will tell him about how her smile could light up a room. I will tell him how much she loves him and how much she will always love him – something that death will never erase! Today, we will celebrate the life that Grandma Kathy lived and the legacy that she left behind.

It is days like today that I miss my parents more than I can ever explain. These are the days that my heart aches and I just want them back. But, these are the days that I hold our little boy just a little bit tighter and hug him just a little bit longer. And these are the days that I will cuddle with Alex and let him remind me how he is our precious gift from both God and from Grandma Kathy and Grandpa Jim.

Happy Birthday, Mom! Enjoy your day in heaven and know that we are celebrating you here on Earth. Not a minute goes by that you aren’t thought of and loved. I miss you more than I ever dreamed possible. Thank you for being the best Mom that a girl could ask for, but most importantly, thank you for being MY Mom. I love you with all my heart!

No comments: